Generosity Supporting the CSU
August 8, 2013
Fundraising efforts and support through grants, donations and gifts are crucial to the success of the CSU. Gift commitments help improve pathways to degrees, provide scholarships for students, build technologically advanced facilities and support innovative teaching models and partnerships. In the past three years, the CSU has received more than $708 million in philanthropic support. Charitable gifts from alumni, parents, foundations and corporations are the heart of the CSU and support the system’s ability to provide access to a broad and diverse student population. Recent fundraising accomplishments include the following:
- To support San José State’s efforts to develop new approaches to teaching engineering, the Mark and Carolyn Guidry Foundation has made a $2.5 million gift commitment, establishing the Carolyn Guidry Professor of Engineering Education.
- The Pardee family has contributed $1.5 million to establish the J. Douglas and Marian R. Pardee Endowment in support of Cal State San Marcos’ students. An endowed scholarship provides CSUSM with a permanent asset from which students can receive support.
- The College of Science at Cal Poly Pomona will be providing new research opportunities, student support, internships and public outreach programs thanks to a $100,000 gift from the Hearst Foundation to Science Educational Enhancement Services and a $100,000 gift from the Ernest Prete Jr. Foundation.
- The Ralph M. Parsons Foundation pledged over $150,000 to build Cal State Northridge’s Solar Observatory.
- CSU Bakersfield is proud to announce the establishment of the Wendy Wayne Endowed Nursing Scholarship Fund, which has now surpassed $100,000 thanks to the many contributions from the local community.
- Historian Lawrence B. de Graaf, a founding faculty member at Cal State Fullerton, is donating $100,000 to support the Center for Oral and Public History Capital Initiative.
- Albert Wade and Helen Sherman-Wade donated a $25,000 gift to Cal State Northridge to go toward an endowed scholarship in communication disorders & sciences.
- A significant gift from Irwin and Peter Zahn and the Moxie Foundation to expand San Diego State’s Zahn Innovation Center and open its lab to students, faculty, staff and eventually the San Diego community.