We’re excited to invite you to attend the 31st Annual CSU Media Arts Festival!
- Friday, October 22 – Wednesday, October 27, 2021 – Screening of Finalists
Friday, October 29, 2021 at 1:30pm – Awards Presentation and Screening of Winners
We’ll start the festivities with a screening of the 31 finalists beginning Friday, October 22, 2021. Participants will have several days over which to view the work of our talented finalists. And viewing can be done at one’s own pace!
On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 1:30pm, we’ll present awards for animation, documentary/creative non-fiction, experimental, narrative, promotional, short screenplay, television news, and best in show! We’ll also screen the winners.
Links to participate in the activities will be provided closer to the dates of the events.
2021 CSU MEDIA ARTS FESTIVAL FINALISTS TO BE SCREENED
- Coronavirus: Pandemia Mundial (Coronavirus: Global Pandemic) – Rita LaVau, Gabriela Martinez, Giselle Martinez, Samantha Aguilar, Dolores Alvarez, Edwin Flores, Jorge Flores, Stephanie Mejia, Janelli Pedroza, Marina Rodriguez, Daisy Tornel, Angie Zubia (40:28, Television News)
- George Floyd & Black Lives Matter: A Conversation | The Report: Roundtable Discussion – Kelly Jessica Hoffman, Richard Mortimer, Titan TV Communications Staff & Interns (25:56, Television News)
- Lo Que Está Trending (What’s Trending) – Kimberly Cruz, Edwin Flores, Jorge Flores, Jessica Lopez, Rebecca Loyola, Jennifer Vazquez (3:27, Television News)
CSU LONG BEACH
- 72 – Valor Eden Aguilar, Luke Baird, Joseph Bucsit, Mina Bogedahl (3:13, Animation)
- Breaking the Binary – Luca Pena, Audrey Sutton (5:02, Documentary/Creative Non-Fiction)
- Dancing with Death – Paula Kiley, Audrey Sutton (5:10, Documentary/Creative Non-Fiction)
- Falling (in Love) | Adobe After Effects – Cathy Bui, Bobby Kelley
- Gireogi Appa – So Youn Jeon (3:14, Experimental)
- How to Stop Being Chinese – Isaac Kau, Seia Watanabe, Moises Marquez, Brandon Kheang, Tzu-han Hsu, Michael Xu, Nicholas Delgado, Marissa Espiritu, Dominique Briet, Tiana Barajas (3:49, Experimental)
- Liar’s Bluff – Ronan Cole Jensen, Dominic Hure (16 pages, Short Screenplay)
- Little Canaries – Hunter Woelfle, Phoenix Liu, Adriana Morales, Domenic Hure
- Mis Alas | Raymundo – Cathy Bui, Bobby Kelley, Brandon Kheang, Alex Nguyen, Zoe Thomson, Sam Navarro, Michael Xu (4:06, Promotional)
- Shadow Box – Jessenia Blackstone El Massioui, Micah Goldfarb (2:29, Experimental)
- Target Panic – Madeleine Braun, Michael Lichauco, Nicholas Delgado, Adara Young, David Roh (11:54, Documentary/Creative Non-Fiction)
- Terminal – Dane Liberatore, Cathy Bui, Micah Goldfarb, Shruthi Anand, Aura Rico, Ilise McGraw, Justin Barber, Miguel Escalona, Austin Berndt, Zoe Thomson, Colin Russell, David Bunhor, Jessenia Blackstone, Tony Flores (7:08, Narrative)
- Baby – Justin Aaron Sirkin, Cole Swanson, Mary Antonovich (19:51, Narrative)
- Edges – Halasius Bradford (8 pages, Short Screenplay)
- Her Last Stage – Daniel Salas, Ivan Bello (12:23, Documentary/Creative Non-Fiction)
- Kites – Rosanne Liezl Lim Bitas (14 pages, Short Screenplay)
- Nepantla – Stephanie Ledesma (12 pages, Short Screenplay)
- The Potion – Abigail Sciortino (20 pages, Short Screenplay)
SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
- The Dress – Nicole Waszak Mendez (6:39, Narrative)
- White Male Shooter – Andrew Norbeck (6:16, Documentary/Creative Non-Fiction)
SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY
- Lion on the Mat – Asali Rasmussen Echols, Casey Beck (16:35, Documentary/Creative Non-Fiction)
- The Golden Gate – Pietro Pinto (15:12, Narrative)
- Tony’s Cakes – Tony Holman, Vida deKayla, Garry Moore, Juan Luqui, Chris Camacho, Stephen Nadeau (10:31, Documentary/Creative Non-Fiction)
SAN JOSÉ STATE UNIVERSITY
- A Story in Stone – Sydney Spruiell (2:01, Documentary/Creative Non-Fiction)
- Felt Love – Arlene Bongco, Celine Nguyen, Angeline Vu, Elain Lu, Gia Duong, Yilin Wang, Anna Chen Juan Andres Vergara (6:30, Animation)
- First Born – Justin Bruce Lee, Aerik Bertulfo, David Diba, Brianna Flores, Aaron Cobb, Maddie Jack, Pearl Kaewpanya, Siena Kuan, Junhao Su, Tina Su, Michael Begen, Pierina Caligaris, David Johnson, Ryan Johnson, Raymundo Mendoza Landa, Lillian Lee, Steward Lee, Jon David Leslie, Meiyan Lim, Minori Uemura, Tina Wu, Katherine Yu, Mary Kay Lee, Callum McGrath, Nicolas Anastassiou, Davis Feeley, Daniel Rodier, Sandra Lewis, Declan Lewis, Callie Lewis, “Stix” Lewis, Nick Panoutsos, Jason Lewis, Christopher Motter, Samantha Dacanay, Ezikiel Jon Saldajeno (5:48, Animation)
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty Movie Title – Sydney Spruiell (2:04, Promotional)
CAL POLY SAN LUIS OBISPO
- On That Note – Michael Anthony Aponte (13 pages, Short Screenplay)
Finalists are determined based on scoring from both CSU faculty and entertainment industry professionals. Finalist visual projects will be available for viewing online during a limited screening Friday, October 22 through Wednesday, October 27, 2021. Short Screenplay finalists will not be available for reading – a synopsis of each screenplay will be provided. The CSU Media Arts Festival Awards Presentation and a screening of the winners will be Friday, October 29, 2021, 1:30-3pm. Links for the screenings and presentation will be provided on the MAF website, social media, and will be emailed to those in the MAF database.
If you have suggestions for MAF programming, forward them to Shannon Pringle, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome your ideas.