APPLY FOR AN INTERNSHIP
The media internship program provides internship opportunities in a wide range of areas
of the media/entertainment industry to statewide CSU students. The program operates through two
centers: Internship Hollywood, based at Cal State Los Angeles for internships in Southern California,
and Internship Bay Area, based at San Francisco State University for internships in the Bay Area.
HOW TO APPLY
All CSU students are eligible to apply. The program requires that students be enrolled in an internship
class before starting to work.
Apart from a CSU affiliation, the applicant needs a GPA of 3.0 or higher, strong faculty recommendation(s),
a well-crafted resume and a representative cover letter. Slightly lower GPAs will be entertained
only if the faculty recommendation is very strong. Also, in the cover letter, student applicants
should explain why their GPA was lower than 3.0. Professional references are not mandatory, however
we encourage students to provide one even if the job is not related to your field of study.
- Read the Resume Tutorial. You may download the Resume
Template if you are creating a resume for the first time.
- Download the Application Form.
- Address your cover letter to CSU Media Interns. You may customize
our Sample Cover Letter to suit your needs.
- E-mail the application, along with your resume and cover letter,
- You will be contacted for more information regarding internship
placement in approximately one week.
Please note that not all student applicants will qualify for an internship. The Executive Director of the internship program
works closely with industry professionals to find the right student for each position.
The application process for each position is competitive, and it may not be possible to find a
good match for every student applicant.
HOW TO ENROLL FOR CREDIT THROUGH THE CSU MEDIA INTERNSHIP PROGRAM OR AT YOUR HOME CAMPUS
Please read the information below very carefully. Enrollment procedures have changed.
If you have accepted an internship and need to earn academic credit, there are two different ways in which you can earn credit:
- Enroll and pay for credit at your home campus. Your internship will be supervised by a faculty member at your campus, and all deadlines will be set by your campus. Contact an advisor at your campus to see if you are eligible to do this.
- Enroll and pay for credit through the CSU Media Internship Program (MIP). There is a fee of $200 per semester for students enrolling for credit through the MIP.
IF YOU ARE ENROLLING FOR CREDIT THROUGH THE MEDIA INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
All MIP credit is issued by the College of Extended Learning at San Francisco State University. You may enroll for 1 unit, 2 units, or 3 units. All are semester units. The hourly requirements are:
1 unit: 40 hours worked
2 units: 80 hours worked
3 units: 120 hours worked
There is a $200 fee to enroll, regardless of how many units you are enrolling for.
- Apply for the internship program following the instructions above.
- Once you have an internship, complete the placement form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to indicate on your placement form that you will enroll for credit through the media internship program.
- Once we receive your placement form, we will send you an email authorizing you to enroll for credit, and we will also email you an internship agreement which your employer and you must complete and email back to us.
- Once you have received the email authorizing you to enroll, register online through Extended Learning at SFSU.
- You will be directed to the next page in the process.
- If you do not have an SFSU ID number and password, click “Create SF State ID” under item #1, “Visit Extended Learning Online Registration.” This is an online process and doesn’t take long. Once you have an ID number and password, proceed to the step (b).
- If you already have an SFSU ID number and password proceed to log in by clicking item #1, “Visit Extended Learning Online Registration” and completing the login screen.
- You should now be at the “MySFSU” registration page. Under “Add & Drop Classes,” select Spring 2014," then click CEL and then “Gator Reg.” This will take you to the registration page.
- Click on “Class Schedule” on the left side of the page. Search for the course you need by course number:
- For 1 unit, the class number is 92304, CA576 (1 unit)
- For 2 units, the class number is 92305, CA576 (2 units)
- For 3 units, the class number is 92306, CA576 (3 units)
- Once you find the schedule number you need, hit the back arrow key in your browser to take you back to the main registration page.
- Enter the schedule number in the box.
- Select “Process My Requests.” At this point, the class you’re enrolled in should be displayed on the screen. The screen should also show your fees due and when your payment due date is.
- To get instructions on how to pay, visit How to Pay.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO EARN A GRADE OF “CREDIT” FOR THE INTERNSHIP CLASS?
The Media Internship class is graded in a “credit/no credit” basis for all enrolled students. There are 5 documents we just receive in order for you to receive a grade of “credit”:
- Your completed placement form Due within one week of starting your internship
- Your completed internship agreement form Due within one week of starting your internship
- Your mid-term report Due by May 1, or halfway through your internship
- Your final report Due by May 20
- Your employer evaluation Due by May 20
Instructions on how to submit the required paperwork are found on each document.
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION DATES AND DEADLINES
1/24 – last day for students to turn in paperwork
2/21 – last day to enroll students
3/21 – last day for students to enroll with a late petition AND a late fee of $25
5/1 – mid-term reports due from students
5/20 – employer evaluations and final reports due
4/14 – first day to enroll for summer semester
6/6 – last day for students to enroll online without a permit number or late fee
7/7 – last day for students to enroll online with a permit number, but not a late fee
8/1 – last day for students to enroll by mail or in person only with a late petition AND a late fee of $25
7/15 – mid-term reports due from students
8/15 – employer evaluations and final reports due