Skip Navigation

The California State University

Translation
Tips for Studying for Finals

College Dreams Blog

Esta función no está disponible en español
Tanya - photo

Tips for Studying for Finals

Posted by Tanya

Studying for tests and finals has never been easy for me. I find it hard to concentrate or end up putting off studying until the last minute. In order to do better in my classes and on my tests, I had to seek out different study methods. I never thought that I could fall in love with index cards but found that for me, they really work!

What I do is first, rewrite my notes in a shorthand format onto index cards, and then, as I am studying my flash cards, tell myself little tricks so that I can remember the material. For example, if I am learning about a communication theory, the name of the theorist might rhyme with something, or the steps to negotiation might stand for a funny sentence. The earlier you start studying, the better. I am a visual learner as well, so if I can draw it or make it into a diagram, it really helps. When you are in college, you have to explore what kind of studying works best for you, whether it is reading, writing, drawing, or talking out loud. And if studying alone is not your thing, try studying with a partner and teaching each other not only the material, but why it is important and how it relates to what you are studying. These simple steps can make all the difference in the world.

Archives

Social

Follow Us

.

The California State University