Skip Navigation

The California State University

Translation
College Dreams Blog

College Dreams Blog

No matter who you are, or how you’ve prepared for college, you’re bound to have a seemingly endless list of questions. Our student ambassadors had college dreams just like you do, and they worked hard to achieve them. Read their stories below, and share your own with us on Facebook and Twitter!

Esta función no está disponible en español
Kiera Sailor - photo

You + Leadership = Life-Changing Community Engagement

Posted by Kiera Sailor

This summer, I had the wonderful experience of giving back to my campus as an Orientation Leader. As I helped new students integrate smoothly at CSU Channel Islands (CI), serving as a mentor and friend to show them the CI way, each orientation challenged me to become a better woman, mentor and individual. College is a time to be a pearl; let your edges be rolled, layered and polished. So go for it. You have a campus full of leaders cheering you on!

Shannon Banks - photo

Prepare for CSU Admission Early

Posted by Shannon Banks

Many students don’t know they can start preparing for CSU admission as early as middle school. When the CSU looks at admission criteria, they’re looking to see that students met the a-g requirements. Students can start taking these courses as early as 7th grade.

In high school, meet with your counselor to discuss how you will meet the a-g requirements. You’ll also want to take the SAT and/or ACT multiple times because CSU campuses will only use your best scores when evaluating you for admission to their school.

In addition to the a-g requirements, each of the 23 CSU campuses may have supplemental criteria that you will need to meet if the campus is impacted, or the number of fully qualified applicants exceeds the number of available spaces. Be sure to contact each CSU you are interested in individually to ensure that you are meeting all of the requirements for their specific campus.

Overall, increasing your preparedness for a CSU will increase the probability of you being admitted. If you start getting ready for the admissions process early, it will be less stress on you when you’re anticipating admission decisions.

Mireille Garcia Serrato - photo

How Networking Helped Me

Posted by Mireille Garcia Serrato

Who you know is an important key factor to success. For those of you who will be entering college this fall, now is the time to build upon your resources through the people you meet, whether it be fellow classmates, professors, campus staff or residential coordinators.

When I began my first year of college, it was challenging for me to introduce myself to people I didn’t know. But one day, I stepped up and introduced myself to a residential advisor (RA) who was passing out applications to join the Hall Council for the residence hall I was living in. Becoming involved was on my to-do list, so I took the initiative to tell her about my interest in applying.

Shortly after, I was voted to be the secretary for my residence Hall Council. Through this position, I was able to meet many people who I enjoyed working with. I even became friends with my residence hall coordinator. I learned about staying connected with residential life, and my residence hall coordinator encouraged me to apply to become an RA. During the interview process for the new position, my residence hall coordinator turned out to be my interviewer. I was at ease because we already knew each other, and this allowed my interview to run smoothly. A few months later, I received the call that confirmed my acceptance to become an RA for the fall of 2015.

The initial step I took to introduce myself to the RA carried me a long way and allowed me to accomplish my goal of becoming an advisor myself.

Archives

Social

Follow Us

.