Skip Navigation

The California State University

Translation
My Freshman Year

College Dreams Blog

Esta función no está disponible en español
Francisco - photo

My Freshman Year

Posted by Francisco

Moving away from home, having no rules and being on your own: sounds like heaven, right? That’s what I thought when I decided to move away from southern California to the Bay Area for school at CSU East Bay. Soon I found out that I was right—at least partially. I had a blast my first year until I started to miss my family. You see, I have two younger brothers that I started to miss, a mom that would cook amazing Mexican food, and a dad that always knew what to say.

The first quarter was the hardest time. I missed my mom’s home-cooked meals and instead cooked for myself or ate a cup of noodles. I had to learn to sleep well before class and I had to adjust to working so I could afford to have a social life. In other words, I was completely on my own.

It was a huge change, but I definitely needed the experience. Being on my own made me grow and mature. When you are getting ready to graduate from college—which might be a bit far off—and you look back on your time in college as time to have grown as a person, you will be so excited and ready to move on to the next chapter of your life. Yes, you might get scared, and you might be lonely from time to time, but that’s the beauty about growing up: You overcome these obstacles and find ways to comfort yourself or find support in those around you.

I promise you: you will never experience another year of school as exciting as your freshman year for so many reasons, not just being on your own away from your family.

P.S.: Once you leave, your family always spoils you whenever you come home to visit. Good luck!

Archives

Social

Follow Us

.

The California State University