Skip Navigation

The California State University

Translation
Going Back to the Basics of Leadership

College Dreams Blog

Esta función no está disponible en español
Kiera Sailor - photo

Going Back to the Basics of Leadership

Posted by Kiera Sailor

CSU Channel Islands offers opportunities for students to develop their leadership skills, such as the leadership certification program. I attended the 10th annual Back to Basics Leadership Retreat, the first level of the program, which teaches students the basics of leadership including communication, teamwork, professionalism and motivation.

Through the retreat, I learned important skills and characteristics of a leader. Delegate tasks, especially the ones that you are already good at. Hold onto those that are difficult because that is how you grow; you won’t know what you are capable of until you challenge yourself. Higher education is a place to try new things. Before college, I was so shy and insecure about interacting with others. College put me in a position to explore and step out of my comfort zone, and it changed the way I view myself.

I also learned to do everything in such a way that everyone can see I am honest, clear and thorough. I need to be bold rather than worry about “looking good.” Sometimes, we are so worried about how we look that we forget to hold ourselves with integrity. The most important aspects of being a leader and simply ourselves, is living life with integrity and transparency.

Cadet

Archives

Social

Follow Us

.

The California State University