Skip Navigation

The California State University

Translation
Confessions of a Communications Major

College Dreams Blog

Esta función no está disponible en español
Evelyn - photo

Confessions of a Communications Major

Posted by Evelyn

Being a Communications Studies major is tough. Not in the sense that the workload is a lot or the classes are hard, but dealing with snarky remarks from my peers is something that I have come to deal with almost on a daily basis. Many people see communications as a “useless” degree and one that is chosen by people who do not know what to do with their lives. People are always asking me questions like “What are you going to do with a degree in Communications?” I understand why they ask this because communications is a very broad major; you have so many different career tracks that you can choose when you graduate. However, I am here to make the argument that it is because communications is very general that makes it one of the best degrees you can have.

I have friends in this major who want to be radio hosts, lawyers, real estate agents, and even race car drivers. Personally, I am aiming to be a concert producer/promoter. I love spotting talent in musicians and would love the opportunity to work for a record label and help with setting up events. So for those out there who don’t exactly know what career they want, I say declare a Communication Studies major. Not only is it full of classes that are actually applicable to everyday life (such as handling relationships and public speaking), you will be among one of the most diverse group of students on campus.

Archives

Social

Follow Us

.

The California State University