Skip Navigation

The California State University

Translation
A Love Note Pt. 1

College Dreams Blog

Esta función no está disponible en español
Marlene - photo

A Love Note Pt. 1

Posted by Marlene

Falling in love was never in my plans. I always pictured myself falling in love during my 40’s only after being a successful businesswoman with financial stability, but love entered my life and literally left to pursue his dreams on the other side of the world in Asia.

A year before I met him, I lived in Downtown Los Angeles six hours away from where I now live in Hayward California. We first met at California State University East Bay where he graduated from and I am currently studying. Despite age, cultural and religious differences, our love of two old spirited and passionate people lead us to create a strong relationship.

I’ve realized that in our generation many people misuse love and are anxious to find it. The truth is it comes when it comes and when it does welcome it with arms wide open. Love unravels like the soft petals on a white rose that’s nourished by the earth’s warm soil. Although my feelings for him at first were difficult to understand because it was brand-new to me, loving him was natural.

He was then asked to work overseas after just several months of us being together. When we were together, I witnessed his dedication for writing and telling stories. Being a supportive girlfriend, I was always there to encourage him in anything and for him to take the wonderful opportunity to work abroad. After all, he had really deserved to put his talent for writing into good use. This is both of our first relationship. We decided to work a long distance relationship. I let him go abroad little over a year after our first year together.

In this relationship, separation and stress tested the strength of our love. There were several attempts to resolve a communication problem, which happens in most long distance relationships. Yet, after several trials of fixing this dilemma, I realized that there are two main steps for resolution in partnership conflicts. First, people should have immediate discussion about the problem. Second it leads to compromising. Love is like a flower that should be nourished with care and a “break” should never be the answer because it results in decay. I will never understand why he asked or why people in relationships as for a break from each other. Even when one is underneath the cloud of stress, a break shouldn’t be the answer to untie a struggle. I gave him the break and space for growth as he initially requested, but without me in his life. I also understood that his physical and emotional care for me was missing. At the end, it was absolute I needed to take care of my heart. It wasn’t easy, it took so much courage and strength to accept that maybe it wasn’t the right time for us/bad timing. I don’t regret making this decision because our love story is something that I’ll always treasure.

Archives

Social

Follow Us

.

The California State University