Skip Navigation

The California State University

Translation
A Journey I Will Never Forget

College Dreams Blog

Esta función no está disponible en español
Yazmin Doroteo - photo

A Journey I Will Never Forget

Posted by Yazmin Doroteo

I am a first generation Xicana pursuing double majors in Criminology & Justice Studies and Sociology with a concentration in Children, Youth, and Families at Cal State San Marcos. I remember being in your shoes not that long ago. It seemed stressful and frustrating because I was unsure of what schools to apply to. I was also unaware of what each college had to offer me. Even though it’s a long process, it is rewarding because you learn a lot about yourself.

The best advice I can give you is to apply to as many programs the school offers such as the Educational Opportunity Program, Student Support Services, College Assistance Migrant Program, ACE Scholars Services (support former foster youth), work study, and other amazing programs that will support you in your college journey. Every school offers different programs so make sure to contact the schools and ask.

In particular, I encourage first generation, low-income students to apply for the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP). The program offers services including admission counseling, academic advising, peer mentoring, student success workshops, financial assistance and much more. The CSUSM deadline is February 15, 2016. I am an EOP student myself and I have the great honor to be working for them now. I am a peer mentor who works with first-generation college students, alongside friendly and kind-hearted staff who want the best for students.

Since I became part of the EOP program I have grown as an individual and have become a profound scholar. Helen Keller once said, “When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.” I strongly believe this since it applies to my journey. Make sure to always try your best, I know you can ALL DO IT.

Archives

Social

Follow Us

.

The California State University